Located on the northern part of the island of Borneo in the Malasian state of Sabah, the KINABALU YACHT CLUB (or “KYC”) is one of the oldest surviving from the colonial era. Sitting next to the Tanjung Aru Beach along the coastal stretch towards the Shangri-la Tanjung Aru Resort Hotel in the state capital, Kota Kinabalu, the KYC is easily accessible by sea or by road.
A typical day at the KYC begins with the tranquility of the dawn broken softly by the hush of the sea waves and wakes up to the bustle of daily routines that eventually culminates to happy hours enjoyed by many watching an array of beautiful sunsets (acclaimed as the second most beautiful in the world) throughout the year. Stepping into the KYC grounds itself is an invitation to relaxation equated by the sea breeze, the promise of a ride on the sea or just simply, lunch or tea or beer in the company of friends and families.
Its present Clubhouse of timber structure, rattan shades and million dollar views, dates back to 1959. The original 4-inch solid timber bar counter top is still in existence at the Upstairs Bar – a favourite social haunt by members.
The KINABALU YACHT CLUB was first established on 26th November 1952 under the name of “Jesselton Yacht Club”. With the change of name from Jesselton to Kota Kinabalu in the year 1968, the club was renamed “KINABALU YACHT CLUB”. From its 37 founder members, KYC now has about 700 members.
Through the years, the KYC has seen a number of its sailors particularly the under fifteens emerged from its wings to succeed at National level and also represent Malaysia at international regattas.